Farm & Foundation
A Public/Private Partnership
The Claude Moore Colonial Farm was established as Turkey Run Farm by the National Park Service in 1972 under President Nixon’s Legacy-in-the-Parks program. When federal budget cutbacks threatened the closure of the Farm in 1980, the community rallied behind Congressman Frank Wolf (R-VA) and Senator John Warner (R-VA) to save this popular educational resource. The citizens’ group, incorporated in 1981 as The Friends of Turkey Run Farm, Inc., raised the funds immediately necessary to keep the park open as plans were made for the Farm’s long-term financial and operational stability.
During the next two years, the Friends successfully negotiated a thirty-year, no-fee lease for the park, matched a generous $250,000 endowment gift from Dr. Claude Moore of Loudoun County to ensure a more stable financial base for the park’s operation, and changed the name to The Claude Moore Colonial Farm at Turkey Run. Realizing that the $500,000 endowment would provide only a portion of the operating budget, the Friends planned and raised funds in 1984 to construct a rental picnic facility to earn additional revenue. The Pavilions of Turkey Run, as the new facility was named, offers expanded facilities to the community, and enhances awareness of the Farm and its programs through increased visitation by a larger audience. In 1990, after ten years of successful private operation of the Farm, the Congress, through the National Park Service, provided much-needed help with a $225,000 construction grant to replace the badly deteriorated 18th-century farm house and the maintenance/administrative facilities.
Rates Claude Moore Colonial Farm One of the
TOP 10 PLACES for KIDS!
This spring break, Patricia Nevins Kime—respected journalist and author of the first edition of Moon Washington DC—offers her selections for ten can’t-miss activities, perfect for kids and their chaperones.
"7. Claude Moore Colonial Farm: Something’s always being grown, harvested, dyed, dried, or crafted at Claude Moore Colonial Farm in McLean, Virginia, a rendition of a modest circa-1771 frontier farm."