Seasonal 18th Century Farmer & Interpreter
Claude Moore Colonial Farm
Description: The 18th century Farmer will be responsible for assisting the staff in the upkeep of an heirloom kitchen garden and the daily care of heritage breeds of livestock while interpreting their chores to the general public. In addition, they will work in collaboration with other full time staff members & volunteers in assisting to plant and maintain field crops such as tobacco, corn, wheat, rye and an apple orchard. They will also be responsible for assisting the running of various special events scheduled throughout the year.
The specific duties the incumbent will perform include 40 to 45 hours per week Sunday through Thursday, July – December:
- Opening and Closing of the 18th century tobacco farm.
- Interpret the daily lifestyle in accordance with the seasons of an 18th century tobacco farmer to both the general public as well as scheduled school tours through use of period tools, crops and animals. This work will be performed in costume in all types of weather conditions.
- Assist in the execution of pre-planned special events highlighting various aspects of 18th century life
- Demonstrate skills and knowledge appropriate to a working Tobacco Farm in the 18th century including but not limited to: Crop and livestock care, upkeep of property including fences and grounds maintenance, hearth cooking, textile processing, herbalism etc
- Responsibly supervise both children and adult costumed volunteers on a daily basis.
- Actively work outdoors in both extreme heat and cold doing heavy physical labor
- Other duties as assigned
- Self-motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision for extended periods of time.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work well with the public, staff, and volunteers.
- Ability to work accurately with interruptions to meet deadlines.
- Ability to prioritize and work in a flexible way that allows for changes in priorities depending on the identified needs of the Farm.
- Focus, good judgment & good communication skills are imperative.
- This is a physically intensive outdoor position. All applicants should be prepared and able to work in a variety of weather and less than conventional working conditions.
- This position requires working every Sunday that the 18th century Farm Site is open to the public from April – Mid December with the occasional Saturday needed for specific special events.
Preferred but not required:
- Knowledge of agriculture and livestock; experience preferred
- Knowledge of 18th century history, particularly Virginia history
- Undergraduate degree in history, agriculture, education, anthropology, museum studies
Interested applicants should e-mail a cover letter, resume, and three references to Daniel Gray at email@example.com or by mail to:
Claude Moore Colonial Farm
Farm Site Manager
6310 Georgetown Pike
McLean, VA 22101